February 18, 2010

Button necklace,

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the mood one evening to do something crafty.  Whatever it was going to be, it had to be easy (as I was tired), and quick (as it was late).  I'd always fancied a long button necklace, White Stuff have a nice one, but I don't live near a branch or have that much spare spends right now.  But seriously, how hard can it be to make one?  Not very so it turns out, here's mine...,

  

It's quite long, and with a big red square button I bought a while ago, but wasn't sure what to do with it, as a central feature.  To make one, all you need is a length of cord and a selection of buttons.

  

The cord is a fair bit longer than I wanted the finished necklace to be.  Fold it in half to mark the center point and anchor the first button there.  Then, working up each side, thread on buttons at roughly 1 1/2" (4cm) intervals.
 
 

Each button is  secured in place at the back with a knot before moving on to the next.

  

Once the whole necklace is threaded with buttons, simply tie the ends in a knot and trim off any excess cord.  The first one came together so easily, I made a shorter one for Lucy using pastel coloured buttons alternating with a white flower.

 

Don't tell her I'm wearing it, I'll be in big trouble! 

ps, just noticed I am 2 posts away from 200, and about 3 weeks away from a 3rd blogiversary!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Supercute!

Tea Potty said...

A great way to show off prized buttons!

Anonymous said...

The little flower buttons are so sweet! Don't blame you for trying it on - girly button bliss :o) jen x

JuanitaTortilla said...

Whee-hee! I love quick (and cheap) lovely crafts like that.
I made a long purple for myself, but sadly lost it while I was out. Will have to make another one.

Nice work :)

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

very nice :o)

Erin J. said...

So cute! I want to make one now!

Lucy said...

So cute, I'm going to try one myself. Lucy (Munyip Makes) x

Lyn said...

I love making things with buttons, Thanks for sharing this.
Love
Lyn
xxx

noelle said...

fabulous necklaces, might give that a go! x

French Knots said...

Looks great, very effective. A friend has a birthday in a couple of weeks and, if I can bear to part with some of my button stash, I think I'll make her one.

Anonymous said...

Love this! I have been seeing these popping up places and have been thinking about making one - I will definitely use your tutorial - thanks!

Unknown said...

I love button necklaces...and bracelets too!

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I love the way everyone uses buttons:)

Vintage Girl/Marivel said...

Hello:
Great.
I invite you to my giveaway.Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Yours inspired mine - mallorymurray.wordpress.com. Thank you for the inspiration! I just love your blog.

Unknown said...

very nice concept really...I think one can create from anything and everything.
throw

Unknown said...

Mmmmm, yummy buttons.
You did a great job & saved yourself.......wait for it......
over £44!!!
They are lovely.

Unknown said...

Hello Lucy!!!My name is Mery, I am a brazilian crafter woman who loves crafts and all of things called handmade, I am loving your blog!! It is so cool, you have a wonderful talent to do these things!!! Congratulations!!! I have an album in flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meryhappy/
visit me if you could!
kisses
mery

...sorry about my poor and limited english! lol

Jack said...

I love it..I love making different type of things with button. I just made one more necklace with button. It is so cute. I will surely share with you.
vintage pendant

Mary-Ann said...

I love what you've done here, the necklace maybe simple and easy to make but it's still beautiful. Ann@girls jewelry boxes

PaypalLogin said...

Thank you for this brief explanation and very nice information. This post gives truly quality information. Hope to see you again. I find that this post is really amazing. know about Paypal loginClick the Link and Visit

Bella Johansson said...

We had a great time with the Slingshot Rental! Like I said: awesome people, awesome machines! The process was very fast, Sebastien was really easy to get along with and he explained everything good. Overall great experience Slingshot Rental Miami.