December 4, 2009

The Christmas Tree Softie tutorial,

There are many, many Softie Tree patterns out there to choose from, and here is my version. This is going to be a long post as there are lots of step by step photo's, so let's get started!.

To make one Softie Tree, you will need -

2 fabric rectangles 22 x 15 cm, these can either be in one fabric, or made up with a variety as I have done (see photo below)
a felt circle, 7.5 cm diameter (this will become the base)
a card circle, 7 cm diameter (card from a cereal box is fine)
2 squares of felt 5 x 5 cm (for the star)
selection of buttons, various sizes and colours
embroidery thread (I have used red Pearl Cotton 8)
sewing needle, scissors, pins, pencil, sewing machine is optional
stuffing & a smallish pebble (to weight the tree)
paper, a square 5 x 5 cm, and a rectangle 12.5 x 19 cm
chop stick (also optional)

First, fold the large paper rectangle in half lengthways, draw a diagonal line from one corner to another, and cut down the line. Open it out, and you will have your paper tree template. Place the fabric rectangles face together, and pin on the template. Cut out the tree shape, adding an additional 1 cm of fabric to the bottom (see photo below).

Remove the paper template (and keep so you can make more tree's later), pin the fabric together and sew down each side, 0.5 cm in from edge (you can do this on a sewing machine or by hand using backstitch), then turn your tree the right way round. You can use a chop stick to push out the point of the tree if it is a bit fiddly. Turn the additional 1 cm hem inwards to hide the fraying edge. I have added a 'Lucykate Crafts...' label, you won't need to do this, as you know the rules, tutorials are for personal use only, and not to be used commercially!

Stuff the tree, lastly, adding a pebble wrapped in the stuffing inside the base to give it weight so it doesn't topple over. Pop the card circle in the base and,

position the felt circle over the top, sew in place using straight stitches.

Now it's time to add some buttons as decoration,

you can add as many as you like.

Now, take the paper square, and draw on a star shape, cut out to make your star template. Use this to cut the first star from the felt, then use the felt star as the template to cut out the second, this way they both match.

Pin the 2 stars together, and begin to sew round the edge to join the two using blanket stitch. When you get to the last part of the star, place it over the tip of the tree.
Continue to sew the blanket stitch, one side of the star at a time, taking care to make sure you attaching the star to the tree with each stitch. Complete one side of the star, then turn the tree over, and stitch the same on the other.

Then you are done!, it would be very easy to alter the dimensions of the tutorial and make your tree larger or smaller if you wanted to.

Please feel free to join the Lucykate Crafts... pattern pieces Flickr group to show off your trees, and there is also a Flickr group totally dedicated to tree softies. If you are on the look out for more christmas tutorials, there is always my robin from last year, or the love letter could be adapted to make a christmas card, and should you feel inclined to wear a pair of leggings on your head, then make an Elf hat, it will look a little less silly!

There is also a whole month of christmassy projects appearing at UK Handmade, the first is here.

Happy Stitching!

42 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Very sweet. I might be able to get a few of those done in time for Christmas this year. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

PaisleyJade said...

I love this so much - thanks for sharing how to make it!!

Gluten Free Store Ltd www.glutenfreestore.co.nz said...

Thanks for the tute. I would like to say I would be making one or two, but Im so behind, I havent even got the deco's out yet! eeek Christmas is creeping up too quickly! :0/

Vintage Girl/Marivel said...

thank you so much for sharing.
hugs

antmee said...

Thank you for these! I love these type of trees and especially your style.

Clair said...

Thank you! I've been looking for something to make with my seven year old, we'll love doing this tomorrow.

Patricia said...

HOLA LUCY SOY PATRICIA DE SAN JUAN ARGENTINA ES LA PRIMERA VEZ QUE DEJO UN COMENTARIO PR}ERO SIEMPRE VICITO TU BLOGS TUS TRABAJOS SON HERMOSOS TE DEJO MI ADMIRACION YME ADELANTO ADEJARTE UNA FELIZ NAVIDAD Y MEJOR AÑO NUEVO

Patricia said...

HOLA LUCY SOY PATRICIA DE SAN JUAN ARGENTINA ES LA PRIMERA VEZ QUE DEJO UN COMENTARIO PR}ERO SIEMPRE VICITO TU BLOGS TUS TRABAJOS SON HERMOSOS TE DEJO MI ADMIRACION YME ADELANTO ADEJARTE UNA FELIZ NAVIDAD Y MEJOR AÑO NUEVO

Sheri said...

Very nice! You do nice work and your tutorial is wonderful (I like pictures!) I'll be posting a link later this week on childmade.com, and looking for other fabulous ideas on your site. Thanks for sharing!

Moontsy and Floontsy said...

I absolutely love this!! thank you so much for posting it <3

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so cute! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

Patricia Mascarenhas said...

I just found your blog and loved all ideas you posted here!
I'm comming back later for sure!
And of corse, the Christmas tree is so cute! Thank's for sharing it

Rajamanickam Antonimuthu said...

You site is very good.Your way of teaching makes every body to learn quickly.
http://xmaschristmas.blogspot.com/2009/12/latest-christmas-news.html

http://knol.google.com/k/christmas#

LunaMoonbeam said...

Lovely!!!

Oooh, I wanted to tell you - I recieved the "Sewing Calendar" for christmas...and your little Owl Egg Cozy is in it! It was like seeing something from a friend. Thanks for all the great blog posts...and I can't wait to get through the calendar!!

Mary LaBelle said...

Thanks so much! Love your blog.

Sparky said...

This is lovely...well next year it is on my list to do..thanks so much...oh I have come on as a follower too..don't want to miss anything else...
blessings madame samm
http://sewdollswhosnext.blogspot.com
who also has added you to her blog list...

Term Papers said...

It is glad to see this blog, it is good and detailed fun to read this, nice informative blog, Thanks for share this article.

Wish You a Very Happy Mary Christmas.

Term papers

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tutoring and sharing! The work you do is amazing. I wish I had time to performing such masterpieces. After I am done with my research paper I will try to find time for this kind of art.

Anonymous said...

I love your knitting style a lot it reminds me my grandmother and all the little thing she do for me :( .

Melinda Robinson

knee anatomy

Anonymous said...

The work you do is amazing!!
Thanks for ideas.

Caroline White

tonsillitis symptoms

Lanthanum said...

i admire your post.. awesome tutorial..

Job vacancies

Amanda said...

I am writing to request permission to reprint this adorable project on Craftown.com. We would of course give you full credit and will happily link back to your blog. Please let me know if this is acceptable. Thanks!

Amanda Formaro
Chief Editor - Craftown.com
http://craftown.com

♥ Carine Calé ♥ said...

Congratulations LucyKate, the idea is amazing, great turorial!!!

I posted a link on my blog Feltro-Aholic:http://feltroaholic.blogspot.com/2010/10/pinheirinhos-de-tecido-tutorial.html

Many thanks ; )

xoxo
Carine Calé

Soraya said...

Oi LucyKate!
Coloquei sua postagem no meu blog com o teu link.
É um lindo trabalho!
Parabéns!

Muito obrigada,
Soraya

Unknown said...

Wow what great designs. This is awesome, i am glad to see such great textures on these clothes on this pictures.

College Research Papers
http://www.researchtermpapers.com

Unknown said...

The Christmas Tree Softie tutorial, is really nice one to talk about I think the the Christmas Tree are the one peoples do wants to have and it is really good that peoples still believe on it.

College Research Papers

Unknown said...

Its an informative topic for Christmas. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy.

Regards!
College Research Papers

Unknown said...

The Christmas Tree Softie tutorial, is some thing which happens in a year but this event has a lot that peoples does make so many good things for this and I think this is a good information for peoples.

Term Papers

Unknown said...

These are adorable! I tried them with a cotton quilting fabric and they come out equally cute. Just make sure you iron them well when they are accordion folded.

Regards!
Customized term papers

Unknown said...

our style is really fantastic! Thanks for your blog, and I hope I can buy your book. Ria

santoshbisht said...

Thanks for sharing your Ideas.....

Jobs in India

KreKa said...

thanks for your instruction. Pics of my trees on my blog.

Custom made term papers said...

Thank you for the magnificent designs, they are really fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this idea, it is so cute. I'm going to make it right now !

Jadex said...

lovely tutrial will make these later on tonight.

Anonymous said...

its wonderful

Janie said...

your blog is amazing!wonderful!Tutorial.Keep up the great work!!!Thanks

Anonymous said...

Just saw this tree, thank you so much for posting directions with pics. Cannot wait to get started.

Anonymous said...

A very nice page. I think the effort has passed, we have to thank you:))
Estetik Dis Beyazlatma Fiyatları

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

First, what a beautiful tutorial you have shared.

I have recently had one of my post highjacked by a blog in Portugal. In trying to submit a fraud charge against them, I noticed that they have also stolen this particular post of yours: http://artesanatokids-infantil.blogspot.com/2013/07/pinheirinho-de-tecido.html

I just thought you should know. I realize how hard we all work to create posts and tutorials and I don't think they should be taken without our consent ever.

http://sophiebonheur.canalblog.com/ said...

Thanks a lot ! I made one for a friend last christmas : http://sophiebonheur.canalblog.com/archives/2014/01/04/28811524.html, she love it !

paulsmith198914@gmail.com said...

Greeting! I'm loving your artwork - thanks a lot for your sharing! There is also a whole month of christmassy projects appearing at UK Handmade, the first is here. Our college paper writing services will be waiting for your updates:)