February 2, 2008

Julie Arkell workshop,

well, what a day!,

what a wonderful day, with a lovely group of ladies.

Julie is an inspiration,

and amazingly quick and neat when demonstrating how to make one of her 'creatures'.

It was great to be able to see her work so closely.

Now, I haven't done any papier mache for years, so with some trepidation, I donned my apron, rolled up my sleeves and stuck my hands in a pot of cold, gooey, wallpaper paste!.

Today was a bit of a family affair for me as Lucy was in the next room doing her usual saturday morning 'art club' class. Was made all the nicer for seeing her beaming face as her teacher brought all the little ones in so they could see what was going on, she was delighted to find that I'd made a start on moulding a mini Lucy for her.

By lunch time, mini Lucy needed to dry out a bit, so a mini Luke was the next task.

They are both now sat at home drying, they still need quite a bit of work, a few more layers of paper, the feet adjusting so they stand properly, then painting and clothes. I put noses on my 'creatures', Lucy wears glasses, so the plan is to make her a little pair out of wire, I thought a nose would help stop the glasses slipping off.


When I had finished, there was some extra time, so I had a go at a little toadstool too. Can't wait to finish them all!

16 comments:

Annie B said...

oh that sounds like the best day ever - glad you had such a great time. Your initial steps look great - make sure you post the finished pieces so we can be even more envious and impressed!

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

What can I say...Lucky Lucy!!!

Karen Bosch said...

Ooh, these are so cute. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

Melissa Goodsell said...

Oh these are positively beautiful..so so sweet...I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Melx

Unknown said...

make sure you finish them, don't do what I do...and forget because the hoovering gets in the way! It looks like an amazing day, I'd be talking about it for weeks (much to DH's eye rolling and switching off of ears!).
Keep us posted with more pics of L and L!

Apryl said...

looks liek you had a really great day! I don['t think i have done paper mache since I was about 7! can't wait to see the finished objects.

Locket Pocket said...

Looks like a lot of fun and lovely that Lucy could see you playing too! Your papier mache figures are so neat - I'm sure anything I made would be mushy and squishy with stray bits hanging off!

Lucy x

Ali said...

I am so amazingly jealous. Are they moulded round wire or something? Incredible.

Anonymous said...

I love your papier mache figures, I would love to do one of Julie's Workshops. can't wait to see the finished models.

Just Original said...

Looks like you had a great day, the kids look great but I just love the mushroom. I don't know why but I am just loving any mushroomey at the moment (not the magic kind!)

Looking forward to seeing them finished.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun. I love papier mache but mine always seem to go really soggy and simply won't dry, will you give us a masterclass pleasssseeeeee......
Can't wait to see your finished figures.

syko kajsa said...

That sound like lots of fun! can't wait to see the result!

Gigibird said...

I am Jealous!

Julie Arkell is an inspirational artist - like you say to see her work up close and personal must have been FANTASTIC.

jenclair said...

I can't imagine how much fun this workshop must be. I can't wait for you to finish all of your projects!

Unknown said...

hello - love your papier mache dolls. How did you make the initial body structure? out of cardboard or wire?
Just trying to make my own and would like some handy tips.

Many thanks!

Yolanda said...

que maravilla ver los muñecos preparados con el papel mache.
Un saludo.