November 9, 2010

book review, Cath Kidston's 'Stitch!'...

Next on the book review list after Kirstie Allsopp is Cath Kidston's new book, 'Stitch!'.


This is the 3rd book in a series of craft books from the Kidston stable, and sifting through the reviews on Amazon, while it seems that the first, 'Make' had a bit of a mixed reception, those comments have been taken on board and addressed for the proceeding titles.


This book also has some added value as tucked inside there is a free purse kit.


I was very pleased when this book arrived to see it is all about needlepoint and cross stitch (for those who don't know, I used to design cross stitch kits for Coats/Anchor).  These days, so many craft books veer towards the quirky (as do I!), it's a pleasure to see something that returns to the more traditional techniques.


The beginning of the book covers all the basic instructions, and within the cross stitch section, makes use of soluble canvas which allows you to stitch on pretty much any fabric you want.


And while the project instructions include references to DMC threads and yarn, there is a handy colour conversion chart at the back for those who favour Anchor.  There are lots of 'how to' illustrations throughout the book and projects suitable to varying skill levels.  Personally speaking, I find Cath Kidston's style like marmite, you either like it or you don't.  I'm a bit indifferent to it, but still find the book intriguing.  There's enough of Cath in it to please even her biggest fan, but it's also blended into a more universal flavour that it still appeals to someone like me.

 ::

'Stitch!' by Cath Kidston, published by Quadrille, November 2010

6 comments:

Gem said...

Hello,

I love reading your blog and seeing all your crafty creations, I find it all very inspiring.

I have noticed that you have done a few of these book reviews now and just wondered how you went about starting it all?

Thanks and keep up the good work :)

Gem xx

Jessica said...

I'm loving the book reviews - really helpful to me at the moment as I'm trying to decide what to do with the remainder of an amazon gift certificate. Keep them coming!

Feltros Delicados said...

Hello Lucy, I loved your blog ... long time found the net with a pillow pocket and fell in love, do not wait to make an equal for my daughter, but did not address who was walking on some blogs feito.Hoje I I found you ... from a pass by my blog to know and tell me what you think of the copy I made and also posted his address, see there ... I'm following you ... kiss, is with God.

Deleuze
Brazil

Vintage Girl/Marivel said...

Hello,Amy: look interesting.
I am reading books from Cath,too.
Have a nice day.

CharlieFox said...

Fantastic work ...... have seen your fox before on Etsy and thought how lovely and original he was. Have just seen that you are about to publish a book ...... congratulations ..... hope it does really well for you! xx

Lara Gargett said...

Thank you for making me understand about how an expert assist student with Online assignment help by going through many writing formats of assignments such as essays, reports, thesis, articles and many more. Likewise, there exist one such company as Online Assignment Expert that provides top quality assignments at affordable prices. We at Online assignment Expert provide world class feature of on-time assignment delivery, plagiarism check, partial payment, unlimited revisions, etc. You can contact our team of highly professional and experienced experts engaged in their respective field. Avail our exclusive discounts on our Assignment expert by contacting our experts at Online Assignment Expert.